Saturday, September 6, 2008

Obama is Half White

I'm not a fan of the politics of race. But apparently, the Democratic Party is.

And apparently, in parts of Pennsylvania, they believe that being black is a negative. And so, when appealing to the white blue-collar base of their supposedly colorblind party, they have a solution to their problem of a "black candidate" -- point out that Barack Obama isn't all black:

Mike McAleer, the veteran Democratic ward leader of the 66th ward in the far Northeast, said Obama and Biden haven't closed the deal yet.

"The Dunkin' Donut crowd tells me that we've got everything going for us but Obama," McAleer said. "They can't give me a direct answer. Do I have them right now in the 66th ward? No. But I got 60 days to get them."

Asked what the problem is with Obama, McAleer paused and said: "It's his color . . . I tell them he's half white and half black. "

Oh, I hear the defender's say "That's just one Democrat, it doesn't reflect our entire party." And as one who has to put up with the left's constant petty attacks on all republicans as racist, I can sympathise.

But it's not just one guy. The story continues:

Joe Dougherty, business manager for Ironworkers Local 401, which hosted Biden's morning event, also said race is an issue for many Democrats.

"I hear it in the neighborhood, and I hear it in the union," Dougherty said. "But I remind them (Obama's) mother was white.

This is the mother that Obama said was a "typical white person", a racist who was scared of black people on the street. But sure, that somehow shows that Obama understands "both sides".

Maybe the problem isn't Obama's race, but his 20-year-association with a church with a racist pastor who preached that white people were the enemy.

No comments: